School crossing patrols (SCP) are employed by the council to help children and their parents/guardians cross the road safely on their journey to and from school. SCPs are allowed to stop the traffic for anyone crossing the road as long as they are showing the STOP sign and dressed in the correct uniform.
The SCP Service provides:
- Recruitment and supplies school crossing patrol officers to schools
- Training, supervision and management of the school crossing patrol officers
- All uniform and equipment to school crossing patrol officers
- Liaises with highways department and police regarding safety issues on site
- Cover for sickness/absence where operationally possible